warming up

May 15, 2013

I tend to use mostly blues and greens when capturing the picturesque landscapes of Oregon.  Lately,  I've been reaching for some of the warmer hues- bright reds and oranges in particular.  I'm sure a great part of this has to do with the change of seasons.  It's been unseasonably warm in Portland this month.  And with early blooms in the garden, it's hard not to be inspired by such vibrant and beautiful colors.

Neon red (i.e. Acryla Luminous Red) has been the latest rage in my studio.  I have literally smeared it onto my last two paintings.  Here's a look at my newest work entitled Cadence.

Cadence, 8 x 10 inches, mixed media on Claybord


In a few days, I'm headed out of town to visit a dear friend in Arizona and explore the red rocks of Sedona together.  I'm curious to see how a trip to the southwest will inspire my work.  I may have to expand my red paint collection when I get back! 

I plan to post a bunch of photos on here and on Instagram.  If you're familiar with the Sedona area, I'd love to get your opinion on must-see places. 

2 comments:

Megan Dunbar said...

i absolutely adore your work. its so striking and unique. Do you sell any of it?? I love looking at the work of established artists. I'm a art student and your work makes me kinda excited for my future. that probably doesnt make much sense but thanks for sharing! :)

Cathy said...

Hi Megan, thanks for your sweet comment. I do sell my work. There's a link in the sidebar to my Etsy shop. You can also see a more complete list of places on my website.

Hope the rest of the school year goes well for you : )

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...