artist interview: Emily Jull of Nesting Emily

Jul 25, 2011


I have been smitten with the pottery of Canadian artist Emily Jull ever since spotting her vintage doily porcelain jars on Etsy.  One of her handmarked vases is perched on a shelf in my bedroom, and it's one of my very favorite ceramic pieces.  Her porcelain collection is thrown on the wheel in her home studio, and Emily was kind enough to share more about her creative process and space on Habit of Art. 

How would you describe your work, and what inspires you to create?

The work I enjoy the most these days is quite stark and minimal but I also do some with yarn, felt and colour which are more joyful. I think all my work is fairly simple, modern and organic. I am always inspired- there is so much to be excited about. Beautiful blogs like yours, other artists ( I run a gallery shop where I am surrounded by talent and beauty) and above all nature keep me constantly excited.


What does your typical work day look like?

My typical work day is at the gallery I mentioned above, but when I get to do my own work I wake late (I am part sloth). I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast and pick some tunes (this depends on what I am throwing and how much- anything from Nirvana to Stevie Wonder to Warpaint). Then I just jump on my wheel and get going. I love throwing and will do it for as long as I can till I ache too much. I’ll have lunch and then back down I go till dinner. I also love to clean my studio after- it feels like putting love and thanks into the space and all the tools.


What are the things you love most about what you do, and what are the challenges?

My absolute favourite part is throwing on the wheel. I am not as big a fan of the decorating the surface part. In fact I would love to partner with someone who loves that part and I could just throw all day. Maybe that’s why my work is so stark. I love the look of bare clay. That’s also why I love doing the woodfired pieces- the kiln does all the decorating and it is a complete surprise and one-off each time.

Emily and some of her vintage finds




Apart from art, what are your other interests?

Oh that’s tough. Almost everything I love falls under art, craft and design. I love vintage and antiques. In fact, in 2012, I will be opening a brick and mortar shop that combines all my loves. My greatest interest is my daughter but she is an artist so she counts under that heading too.


If you could change one thing about your work space, what would it be?

I work in my basement, and while it is filled with things I love including part of my art collection and is painted white, it can be gloomy. I would love a studio on ground level with lots of light and worn wood floors. Ahhh to dream.

Thanks, Emily, for a wonderful interview.  To see more of Emily's creative work, visit her Etsy shop and her flickr.  Also, her home was featured on Etsy here

And there is a giveaway! Emily is generously giving away a handmade ceramic necklace (shown in right photo) to two lucky Habit of Art readers.  Check back tomorrow for details!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great eye, lovely blog.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...